- Reasons for joining MacDermid
I went to Japan through a Japanese government scholarship to enroll in the Tokyo Institute of Technology’s graduate program. After completing my studies, I started my career as a material engineer at a company in Japan.
I later was hired for a very interesting position as Asia Pacific (APAC) technician at MacDermid Alpha Electronics Solutions. This globally focused technician position involves working across Asia Pacific countries (with the APAC solution center based in Japan). This position also requires frequent use of English to communicate with customers and teams across countries in this vast region.
I believe this position will help me develop into a highly capable global solution provider through challenging technical tasks — while also enhancing my communication and interpersonal skills as I regularly communicate with people across different countries and cultures.
- My job and responsibilities
Working as global technician of MacDermid Alpha, my main responsibility is to support application of a die attach product for customers products such as power devices, electronics and LED components. As each customer has their own design and materials requirements, it makes each project unique with different processes and approaches.
We have internal discussions, several trial evaluations and negotiations with customers to determine suitable processes. When running these projects, we are supported by global team members. My job also involves supporting developments of new die attach material through various tests and evaluations.
These development projects have improved my understanding about product properties, and it is useful knowledge for applying products on customer materials.
- What I love about my job
- Global network and dynamic tasks: At MacDermid Alpha, we are members of a global team that engages customers from various countries which have their own special challenges in product applications.
- Supportive team: Upon engaging in a new or unique project, a lot of support comes not only from experienced team members in Japan, but also from global team members in the U.S. and Germany. It was great help to me not only to determine suitable approaches through team discussions, but also through manufacturing specific tools with shorter lead times.
- Helpful training: Excellent training is also provided at MacDermid Alpha to improve job performance skills. This includes internal training by Japan-based team members or overseas expert members, such as training from Singapore for the die bonder machine.
- Challenges that I would like to tackle in the future
Demand for our die attach materials is increasing rapidly. I must improve my knowledge and skills faster to provide reliable solutions to customers in support of expert team members. I also have to grow as an expert in the die attachment process, together with improving communication skills when talking to customers and working to provide them with suitable and reliable solutions.
- Career advice to foreign exchange students
Japan is a country blessed with beautiful nature and scenery, a unique culture and a hospitable people. Japan also has many industry-leading scientists and subject matter experts developing numerous advanced technologies. Studying in Japan offers great opportunities to participate in these societies and become intellectually enriched in the process.
So make the most of your time for study in Japan! And upon completing your studies, if you want to continue learning, researching and spreading new technologies across many countries, with very collaborative global team members, we will welcome you at MacDermid Alpha!